Kia ora koutou
With today’s announcement by the Government, we are implementing with urgency our plan to support your child’s learning from home. We appreciate this is a sudden and significant change, and will be heavily disruptive to many people in our community.
For children of essential workers, we look forward to seeing your child here at school tomorrow morning at the normal time. You may wish to check if you are considered an essential worker - https://covid19.govt.nz/government-actions/covid-19-alert-system/ however those roles include doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers and police. We continue to ask that children who are not well, do not attend school.
For all other children, we will be supporting their learning from your home in the following ways:
- through online learning. Children will be able to access this through their Google Classroom account and school email.
- If students have Internet access, but no computer, they may be able to borrow a Chromebook. I will send a follow up email shortly.
- Caregivers are still able to contact the school through email. The best first option is your classroom teacher, otherwise you can email me directly and I will forward it to the correct person. My contacts are at the bottom of the page.
If you need to have your child cared for by someone else you will need to identify that person or people as part of your self-isolated group. This will need to be done by midnight Wednesday and the group must remain the same for the whole 4 week period. The caregiver’s own group (eg, their partner and children), your child and your own group (eg, your parents and other children) become one group. This group needs to be limited to minimise any risk of spread and should be no more than 20 people.
Your child will be looking to you for guidance about this decision. Parents, caregivers, whānau and teachers will have a particularly important part to play in reassuring children at this time. If you haven’t already done so, you may wish to read the information put together by the Ministry of Education to support your conversations with your children – Talking to children about COVID-19
As noted by the Prime Minister these restrictions are our best chance to slow the virus in New Zealand and to save lives. We all have a clear role here to slow the spread of COVID-19.
We will continue to communicate with you over the coming days. Thank you for your ongoing support of our school staff and school community.
- School holidays will now begin from Monday 30 March to Tuesday 14 April inclusive (a reminder that the Tuesday after Easter Monday is always a closed day for schools).
- At the end of the school holidays, schools will be open for distance learning but not physically open for staff or students.
- At this stage schools are planned to be closed for 4 weeks, including the holidays. Parents will be notified when school reopens through email, text, and the school App. No specific date has been announced at this stage.
0274 916 443